Having already introduced a Voluntary Code of Practice in 2016,
the National Council of Veterinary Ireland, at its meeting of May 25, 2017, ratified an updated 'Code of Practice for Advertising
Positions in the Veterinary Ireland Journal (VIJ) Classifieds' for
those placing classified advertisements for jobs in the VIJ, both online and in the monthly, print Journal.
The National Council has agreed that under the updated Code, the following details are required to be included in all Classifieds in the VIJ, where positions are being offered:
- Name of the person/practice placing the ad; and
- Town and county in which the person/practice is based.
In addition, where applicable, the following could also be included:
- Type of job being advertised, eg. mixed practice/companion animal/large animal/equine/exotics and full-Time/part-time/locum/maternity leave, etc.;
- Experience required, eg. suitability of job for new or recent graduate/ experienced veterinary surgeon;
- Transparent contact details: ie. personal/practice email address and/or personal/practice telephone contact details (mobile/landline);
- Salary/remuneration where applicable;
- Annual leave and public holiday arrangements;
- Breakdown of work offered, eg. 50% large animal/50% small animal, etc.;
- Rota and out-of-hours arrangements; and
- Additional information about position, eg. accommodation; telephone; CVE allowance; vehicle/fuel allowance; Veterinary Ireland membership/VCI/VDS fees, etc.
An example might be:
“Full-time vet required to join four-vet, Anytown Veterinary Hospital, Anytown, Anycounty. 50% LA/30% SA/20% equine. Experience preferred, new graduate considered. Equal share one-in-four rota. Competitive salary depending on experience. Off-site accommodation available. Vehicle provided with fuel allowance. Five days funded CVE allowance, four weeks' annual leave. VCI and VDS fees funded. For further information please contact:
The updated Code is now being implemented by Veterinary Ireland and IFP Media and all those advertising job vacancies are requested to comply with this Code of Practice.
Please note that any classifieds not complying with this Code will NOT be included in the print edition of the VIJ or included on the VIJ website. The continued cooperation of all those using the VIJ's Classifieds section in following this Veterinary Ireland Code of Practice is appreciated by Veterinary Ireland and its members.
Newly graduated vet in search of a full-time position in a mixed practice in County Kerry, preferably within 30 mile radius from Tralee. Graduated from Slovakia, eligible to work in the EU. Currently working as a vet in a mixed practice in Iceland. Interested in expanding my knowledge with a supportive team. Contact info: +3546967376 or email@example.com